At least once a year it is important to bring your car in for a maintenance checkup and inspection to ensure everything is working as it should. Auto inspections are also a must when buying a used car, as it is quite common to find issues that were previously overlooked. Depending on where you live, you may also need to re-register your car every single year, which may require a mandatory auto inspection. Regardless of why your vehicle is in need of an auto inspection, it is helpful to know what the mechanics are looking for. You don’t have to know a whole lot about cars to know just how important a vehicle inspection is. There are many things that can go wrong with a car that you may not be aware of, which is where a good and trustworthy mechanic comes in.
Here’s What Mechanics Are Looking For
We strive to be as forthcoming and open with our customers as possible, even when delivering bad news. Bringing your car into Nortex Lube & Tune for an inspection shouldn’t have to be overwhelming or intimidating for you. We encourage you to ask us as many questions as you want in order to ensure you understand what we will be doing and what we are looking for. As an overview, here are some of the most common things our McKinney mechanics will look at during a routine vehicle inspection:
- Windshield – We will look for any cracks, chips, and loose seals that may be considered a safety hazard. If possible, it’s a good idea to take care of any small cracks or dents before they turn into a bigger problem.
- Tires – If your tires are old and worn down, there’s a good chance your car won’t pass a safety inspection. We will take a good look at the tread and if it’s worn down, recommend you get new tires before you have to re-register your car. We will also check out the condition of your spare tire to make sure it doesn’t need to be replaced as well.
- Lights – Having proper working lights is a must if you are going to safely navigate the roads, and we aren’t just talking about your headlights. During the inspection, we will look at all of your car’s lights, including the headlights, high beams, emergency flashers, turn signals, side lights, brake lights, and backup lights.
- Brakes – Your car’s brakes are an important component when it comes to safety, so it should come as no surprise that this is something we will take a good look at during the inspection. If we find your brakes are worn down or not working properly, it could present a hazard to you and others. We may suggest you get your brake pads replaced if there are just a few subtle issues, but in some cases, the rotor and pad will need to be taken care of.
- Steering and Alignment – When looking over your car, we will inspect all components of your vehicle’s steering system. If anything is loose or failing, we will let you know what specifically needs to be fixed or replaced.
- Seat Belts – Yet another important part of the inspection process is ensuring all seat belts are working properly. This will include both the front and the back seats.
- Fluid Leaks – Last but certainly not least, we will check for any serious fluid leaks that could pose a safety hazard to you, your passengers, or any other drivers. This will include checking your car’s oil, coolant, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, and windshield wiper fluid.
If your vehicle is in need of an inspection in the McKinney area, please bring it into Nortex Lube & Tune today.