Does your car have an automatic transmission? If so, it is important for you to stay on top of regular maintenance in order for it to remain in excellent working condition for many years to come. Even car owners that are diligent about maintaining various aspects of their vehicle often forget about the transmission, which could be a costly mistake. Sure, it is important for you to get your tires rotated every so often and make sure the oil and oil filter are changed every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, but what about the transmission? A car’s engine is often talked about and gets most of the credit for making your car run, but the transmission – along with the drivetrain – are actually what makes the car go. Because of this, they need to be taken care of and maintained on a regular basis. In doing so, you will keep the car running and prevent any serious transmission problems down the road. This is especially important as your car gets older and more issues arise. When you put a lot of mileage on a car, the transmission is often one of the first things to go.
Here at Nortex Lube & Tune, we strive to provide our customers with the knowledge and expertise they need to keep their car in excellent working condition. We know that life happens and your transmission may not be the first thing on your mind, which is where we come in. By bringing your car into our McKinney car shop, we will be able to diagnose any problem areas and offer our guidance on how to properly care for your car. We want you to have a great driving experience, and that oftentimes starts with caring for the transmission. With that in mind, here are our top transmission maintenance tips:
- Check your fluids – On many vehicles, one of the easiest things to check is the transmission fluid. This will also provide you with a great deal of insight as to how the car is running. In order to properly check the transmission fluid level, keep the engine idling, pull out the dipstick, wipe it off, insert it again, then pull it out again in order to get a clean reading. If it appears the fluid level is low, there’s a good chance you have a leak. A leaky transmission can be more than just an annoyance and may actually signify more serious issues. Look underneath where you typically park your car and if you notice a murky, dark-colored liquid with an unpleasant odor, give our transmission specialists a call.
- Give your transmission a helping hand – There are numerous great products on the market today designed to increase the life and health of your transmission while improving the performance at the same time.
- Don’t ride your brakes – One of the worst things you can do for your car’s transmission is ride the brakes. Over time, this will cause serious issues with your vehicle’s transmission. Pay attention to how often you are braking and how much pressure you are putting on the car. If possible, downshift whenever you can in order to keep from using the brakes too much.
- Pay attention to what gear you are in – It is very important that you pay close attention to what gear you are in and don’t spend too much time in one particular gear. With that, don’t change gears when your car is moving, as this could cause serious damage to your transmission. Make sure your car comes to a complete stop before changing gears, as this will put less strain on the transmission.
- Change the transmission filter on a regular basis – Many people don’t know this, but your vehicle’s automatic transmission actually has a filter, and it needs to be changed here and there. Bring your car into Nortex Lube & Tune and we will be able to tell you if your car has a transmission filter or not, which should help you know more about its upkeep.
These are just a few tips to keep in mind when it comes to properly caring for your car’s transmission. If you have any additional questions or would like to schedule a checkup with one of our McKinney transmission specialists, please do not hesitate to give us a call.