Winter is here, which means it’s time to make sure your car is ready for whatever Mother Nature has in store. While we may not see blizzard conditions on a regular basis here in Texas, it is still important to make sure your vehicle is ready for the lower temps. While most modern cars are designed to handle a wide range of inclement weather conditions, there are still a few steps you should take as a car owner to make sure you will be safe on the roadways this winter. Just as you take the time to switch out your closet and bundle up for colder temps, your car needs a little extra care and preparation to make it through the winter.
Keep in mind that getting your car ready is only half the battle – you must take extra precautions when driving. Winter driving conditions mean you must drive differently than you would during the summer months. Whether you live somewhere like Texas, where we see lower temps and heavy rain or elsewhere in the country with regular snow and ice, take your time and be prepared for anything. Here at Nortex Lube & Tune, we believe in doing everything we can to ensure our customers stay safe on the roadways. We encourage you to bring your car into our McKinney shop so we can top off your fluids and make sure nothing major needs to be taken care of before winter settles in.
Here are a few simple tips to keep your car running safely all winter long:
● Bring your car to a mechanic for a tune-up – The most important thing you can do to prepare your car for winter is bringing it to your mechanic to check out the battery, antifreeze level, thermostat, heater, windshield wipers, brakes, defroster, and all fluids.
● Check your tires – Make sure your tires have adequate tread to get you through the winter. If they appear worn, it is probably time to replace them. Good tires are the number one key to staying safe on the road when the weather is questionable. In addition to checking your tread depth, check the tire pressure with a gauge tool. Your car’s manual should tell you the ideal pressure level. If they are low, head to your nearest gas station and use their free air to fill them up.
● Use winter windshield wiper fluid – Many people don’t know this, but there is special windshield wiper fluid that should be used during the winter. Ordinary windshield fluid will freeze on colder days, causing a dangerous situation for you and other drivers.
● Pack an emergency kit – You never know what is going to happen, and it is best to be prepared. Pack a safety kit in your car that includes road flares, a lug wrench, ice scraper, small shovel, snacks, water, a flashlight, and a first aid kit.
● Stay on top of regular maintenance – Your car needs love and attention all year round, and the best way to ensure it stays in tip-top condition is to keep up with regular maintenance needs. Bring your car into our McKinney car service company for regular oil changes and all other needs. We will check your car’s belts, hoses, spark plugs, tires, and everything else and let you know if something needs to be replaced.
We hope the above tips will help you stay safe on the roads this winter. Be sure and swing by Nortex Lube & Tune for all your McKinney car needs this winter!