Your vehicle’s suspension system is more important than you may realize. Suspension, also referred to as shocks, are what makes your car comfortable to drive. Overtime – and many miles – eventually the suspension will require some attention. Because your suspension is associated with smooth rides, many people overlook suspension repairs, thinking they are just a luxury. However, a faulty suspension can create serious issues for your vehicle if left untreated. For one, a bad suspension will make it difficult to control your vehicle, especially when turning.
This is why it is important not to ignore any issues with your car, such as suspension. By taking good care of your vehicle and bringing it into our McKinney car shop whenever you notice something is amiss, you will have a much better chance of keeping your car running smoothly for many years to come. It’s no secret that your car is made up of a lot of different components and parts, which is why it can be easy to overlook something like the suspension. Even if you don’t know a lot about cars, there are a few signs you can look for that will indicate your vehicle needs suspension service.
Here is a look at five signs it’s time to bring your car into Nortex Lube & Tune to have your suspension checked out:
- Your car is riding rough – The first tell-tale sign that your suspension needs to be repaired is that your ride is no longer smooth. When you start to notice every single bump in the road, or when every bump makes the body of your vehicle bounce, it’s time to bring it into the shop. While it is possible to drive your car without perfect suspension, it will make those long road trips and short trips to the grocery store nearly unbearable.
- Your car pulls to one side or drifts – When a suspension system is failing, many people start to notice their vehicle “pull” or “drift” to one side when turning. This happens because the shocks are no longer keeping the car stable against the force of a turn, which can also increase your chance of a rollover. If you notice this sensation when turning, it’s time to bring your car into Nortex Lube & Tune and have one of our mechanics check it out.
- Your car dips when stopping – When your shocks are worn out, you may experience the body of your vehicle lurch forward and dip when you press on the brakes. This can actually impact your ability to stop the car quickly, which could put you at a heightened risk of getting into an accident.
- You notice uneven tire treads – Look at your tires, and if you notice the tread is wearing down unevenly, it could mean the suspension is no longer working properly. When the suspension isn’t holding the car evenly, it can put uneven amounts of pressure on the tires, causing them to wear out quicker.
- You notice oily shocks – If you can take a look underneath your car, look at the shocks or struts. If they look oily or greasy, it could mean they are leaking fluid and therefore not working properly. This is yet another sign it’s time to get them replaced, and fast.
Your vehicle’s suspension does much more than simply create a comfortable ride for you and your passengers. If you notice any of the above signs or would like your suspension checked out in general, please do not hesitate to bring your car to our McKinney car shop today.