Staying on top of all your car’s maintenance needs can be overwhelming, but it is very important that you do so. Cars require regular tune-ups and, at the very least, some attention from time to time. We often take our vehicles for granted, not really thinking about the well-being of the engine. In fact, most people don’t take the time our cars really need to stay in great working condition. But the engine is the heart of your vehicle, so you should really give it more attention than you probably do! The majority of us don’t think about the engine until it starts making a funny noise or stops working properly. However, you should strive to get your car engine checked at a regular time interval in order to ensure it doesn’t run into any unexpected problems.
There are a lot of different moving parts that contribute to how well your car runs, which is why it can be difficult to put your finger on a problem. Furthermore, any number of things can cause or contribute to problems with your vehicle’s engine, including the following:
- Engine gets wet
- Sensors stop working properly
- Gasket head comes off
- Spark plugs become worn out
- Cracked hoses
- Loose hoses
- Exhaust valves damaged
- Fuel injector rings break
These are just a handful of the most common problems we see with car engines. In order to ensure you aren’t met with a costly repair, be sure and bring your car into Nortex Lube & Tune on a regular basis. Now that we’ve looked at some of the things that can go wrong with your car, let’s go over our top engine maintenance tips:
- Change your oil on a regular basis – One of the first things that can cause issues with your car’s engine is lack of oil. The main function of engine oil is to ensure all those moving parts work together efficiently while keeping your engine free of dirt and metal. It also helps to protect the engine from wear and corrosion, both of which can lead to costly repairs.
- Have your timing belts checked out – Your vehicle’s timing belts are another integral part of the overall health and operation of your engine. They control camshafts in your engine and keep it moving smoothly. When a timing belt goes out, it can cause your entire engine to fail.
- Check the cooling component – Make sure your mechanic always checks the coolant level when replacing the oil, as this is another important part of the engine. Together with the radiator, water pump, and thermostat, the coolant works as the cooling system of your car, preventing it from overheating.
- Pay attention to warning signs – Many newer cars these days have very complex computer systems that let you know when something is amiss. It is important to pay attention to these warnings and never overlook them. These warning signs are in place for a reason and could indicate a major problem.
Be sure and follow the above tips in order to keep your vehicle in great working condition. If you have questions about maintaining your engine or are in need of a mechanic in McKinney, please do not hesitate to contact Nortex Lube & Tune today.